Wedding and festive season is on and everyone is soaked in the spirit to celebrate and party hard. Every bride and every woman wants to look most beautiful and alluring. But due to hectic schedule, lack of time and erratic lifestyle we are not left with much time or options to take care of our skin. All of us wish to have smooth and flawless skin, want to go back in time and undo the damage caused to our skin in jiffy. Dr Seema Malik offers quick and useful ways to get the skin you want and get rid of all the damage done to your skin.
Skin peel: Peeling skin is very common in those who are experiencing dry skin. It can lead to scaly and inflamed areas of the skin accompanied by itchiness and irritation. Other causes of peeling skin include extreme weather conditions, skin rashes or infections, allergies, a weak immune system and side effects of certain medications and chemicals.
Peeling skin is not a very serious condition and can go away on its own. However, following natural remedies can speed up the healing process.
Milk is very beneficial for dealing with peeling skin. It works as a natural skin moisturizer, the protein in milk has a soothing effect and the lactic acid will reduce irritation as well as itching.
• Mix two tablespoons of whole milk and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture on the affected skin and massage gently. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. Do this twice daily for about one week.
Honey can rejuvenate peeling skin. It contains fructose, water, oil, glucose and enzymes that make it a great natural skin moisturizer. Honey also reduces itchiness and irritation associated with peeling skin.
• Rub a small amount of honey on the affected skin. Leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Cucumber is a natural astringent and also contains plenty of water that helps keep the skin hydrated. Plus, its cooling effect helps alleviate irritation and itching. The vitamin C in cucumber will also reduce sunburn and facilitate skin repair.
• Grate one cucumber and apply the paste on the affected skin. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this twice daily for one or two weeks to maintain adequate skin moisture.
Olive oil has skin-nourishing fatty acids that work as an excellent moisturizer for dry skin. The oil coats the skin and locks in moisture. Plus, the vitamin E in olive oil helps the body fight free radicals that are often responsible for skin aging.
• Mix two tablespoons of salt with enough olive oil to create a thick paste. Use this paste as a body scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells. Do this twice a week until your skin heals completely.
Along with these remedies, you must follow these additional tips:
• Drink eight to 10 glasses of water every day to keep the skin hydrated
• Take cold showers to ease itching
• Avoid direct exposure to sun rays or wear sunscreen to protect your skin
• Do not scratch or try to forcefully peel the skin
• Avoid taking hot baths
• Apply moisturizer regularly
Melasma is also quite common with women with busy and stressful work schedule, if you also happen to suffer with Melasma, skin disorder that has left you with brown and patchy skin on your cheeks, bridge of your nose, forehead, chin, or above your upper lip.
Melasma can fade on its own particularly but those who don’t just want to wait and hope have several treatment options
Daily sunscreen use
• Since sunlight is one of the biggest triggers for melasma, daily sunscreen use is non-negotiable to keep it at bay. Choose a sunscreen with broad-spectrum protection with an SPF of 30 or higher
• Broad-brimmed hats help keep rays off vulnerable parts of the face. Seek shade whenever outdoors, as well.
Gentle skin care.
• Since products that irritate the skin exacerbate melasma, use gentle products that don’t sting or burn.
• You could also go for option of laser treatment, restorative or fractional dual laser that will target pigmentation.
• Microdermabrasion is another quick fix and good treatment option for those suffering with sallow skin, mild skin acne, acne discolouration, pick marks and superficial acne scars. Its excellent treatment for those with busy lifestyles as they can get rapid and visible glow.
• If u want to treat moderate to severe sun damage. The procedure makes way for a new, smoother and glowing layer of skin to replace the skin that’s been dull and looks dehydrated.
• Laser is another modern age beauty therapy that can help in reducing facial wrinkles and skin irregularities quickly, such as blemishes or acne scars. Lasers have enhanced the doctors’ ability to improve sun damaged skin, various types of scars and other dermatologic conditions.
• Another safe and effective alternative to the invasive cosmetic procedure. The Mesolift process delivers vitamins, minerals and amino acids directly into the skin to nourish and rejuvenate which promotes the production of collagen & elastin and also stimulate your metabolism. This improves texture and tone of your skin while keeping wrinkles at bay
Tips by- By Dr Seema Malik, Managing Director of Eleganza (Skin & Cosmetic Surgery Clinic)